Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Running A Good Race

Problem

After checking out my 5k time at the Mr. Eds Super Bowl Warm Up (28:05) I decided some race day changes were in order. I had the usual excuses for a poor performance; tough work schedule, bad weather, winter colds, not enough quality running time with nut jobs, and so on.


All of that didn't matter. What mattered was the 28:05 I ran. How could I face my nut job friends? How could I live with myself? Why bother living at all? Something had to be done. I needed a plan.

This is what I came up with.


The Four Step Plan


Step One: Pre-Race Preparation

Check out the race day weather and lay out clothes accordingly. They say you are how you dress. Maybe I should have dressed as a 2 layer person instead of a 4.


Step Two: Positive Thinking

Decide what mantra you are going to repeat to yourself as your body slowly turns against you. Bad Mantra - "This really sucks!", Good Mantra - "I am woman, hear me roar."


Step Three: Goal Sighting

As you approach mile two, think about how great it will be to get to mile 3. At mile 3 start thinking about how the finish line will soon be in sight.


Step Four: Beer Tent

This is the most important step of all. If you run fast enough, there won't be a line when you get to the beer tent. If there is a line, train harder for the next race, you did not reach your goal. At the Turkey trot I had to wait almost 20 minutes for my second beer. I ran way too slow that day.





Final Analysis

To run the better race, you need to use all of your running tools - mind, body and nut jobs.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.