Sunday, April 4, 2010

Running, It's Not Just A Verb, lt's An Adventure

"Start by doing what`s necessary; then do what`s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."  St. Francis of Assisi

It all started so innocently.  It was years ago when running was just another verb in the dictionary to me.

I was talking to a nut job (my first encounter with one) and casually mentioned, "Gee, I'd like to try running sometime."

Next thing you know he has me training for a 5k.  

Then it's, "I think you should do a half marathon".

Then of course it was, "You have to do at least one marathon."

Many months of hills, miles and tears later, I finally did it.  I ran my first marathon.  I was good now.  I'd done it all.  I wasn't just a runner anymore.  I was a marathoner!  All set, right?

Noooooo.

To get a belt buckle you have to run an ultra!

So this summer I will be training with the nut jobs for my first ultra.

But what happens when I finish that?  What will these nut jobs think of next?

Ooh boy, let's pretend I didn't ask.

Upcoming 5k's:
Haiti Relief 5k, Buffalo NY, Saturday 4/10, 9:30 AM
Memorial Miles 5k,  Hamburg NY, Saturday, 4/10, 10:00 AM
Friend's of Night People 5k, Buffalo NY, Sunday, 4/11, 10:00 AM

Upcoming Ultras: 
Summer Beast of Burden
 
Local Running Clubs:

Interesting Blogs To Check Out:
Run Dangerously 
Charlie Engle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.