Thursday, July 29, 2010

Self Control

"Get Thee Behind Me, Satan" - Matthew

Training, it's all about self control.   Controlling your pace, controlling your liquid intake, controlling your thoughts.  Self control - it turns out I don't have any.  At least, not when it comes to potato chips.

I know I should be eating right.  I need to stay healthy if I want to run with nut jobs.  They run, they sprint, they do hill repeats, they run crazy distances.  To keep up with that kind of crowd you need to be in shape.

Eating potato chips is not the way to do it.  And I usually don't eat them, but last night, an unnamed friend (Baba the Freak) left a large bag of them at my house.  He was supposed to take them with him, but he didn't.  There they were right in front of me.  A whole bag of them.  Greasy, fattening, potato chips, completely without any nutritional value whatsoever!

I knew immediately that this was my chance to practice self control.  It was the middle of the night.  There was only me and the chips.  I would show them who was boss.  I would just walk right on past them without eating one single chip.  Well, maybe just one . . .

Half a bag later I realized I had to do something to stop this nutritional tragedy.  I'm a runner, I can't be doing this.  So I did the only thing I could to keep from finishing off the entire bag.  I took the potato chip remains outside and buried them in my backyard. 

No more evil chips.  It wasn't pretty, but I did what I had to do.  And that's what self control and running are all about.  Doing what you have to do.


Moral of the story - Bury temptation before it buries you.









Upcoming Races:
Mental Health 5k - Friday, July 30th, Delaware Park
Italian Festival 5k - Sunday, August 1st, Niagara Falls NY

Jason Raby Memorial 5K - Thursday, August 5th,
Upcoming Ultras:
Summer Beast Of Burden - Saturday, August 21st, Lockport NY
Oil Creek 100 Trail Runs - Saturday, October 16th, Oil Creek State Park

6 comments:

  1. Why was it when I came over the next day, she was covered in dirt? Hands, knees and even her mouth. I swear I saw pieces of potato chips stuck on her lips. She has no self control!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have our weak moments. The important thing is to learn from it and be stronger the next time around. No more Lays for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My question is: What was Baba doing with potato chips in the first place? And why did he bring them to you? I do believe HE is the spawn of Satan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, "the spawn of Satan" seems a little harsh. Although it certainly would explain why he always wants to do speed workouts at three in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all need to be tested and I was doing my part to help her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the help. Next time make the test Chili Burgers and Fries.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.