Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Inner Voice And Why It's So Annoying

I am never alone when I run. There is always a small voice in my head running along with me. Everybody has a voice within. Some are inspirational, some are calming. Mine is mean and annoying. It likes to screw with me.

It says things like, "Tired, aren't you?"; "Say, is that a pain I feel in your right knee?"; "Why are you running so fast?"; "Just slow down and walk the rest of the way. It's so much easier." Or the worst ever - "Why go out and run in the cold when you can stay inside and have a cold beer instead?!"

My favorite running quote is by George Sheehan, ""It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

I am so envious of people who have helpful voices inside their head. My inner voice has a low, intimidating growl.

Anybody have a kinder inner voice they could lend me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.