Sunday, June 13, 2010

Spawning Season

"I'll love you, dear, I'll love you till China and Africa meet and the river jumps over the mountain and the salmon sing in the street." - W. H. Auden

It's spawning season.  What a great time to be a runner.

Imagine running along the Niagara River when suddenly you hear a splash.  You glance over and see a giant salmon leaping into the air and coming back down into the water with the kind of drama and flair that only a spawning salmon can pull off.


This is what running is all about.  Being outside with nature in all of its wondrous energy.

Today while my feet are hitting the road, I won't be looking for miles, I'll be looking for spawners .



(If anyone has a photo of a spawning fish they would be willing to donate to this article, I sure would appreciate it.)



Upcoming Races:
Lois Koss Memorial Run -  Thursday, June 17th, 6:30 PM
St. Gregory the Great Race - Friday, June 18th, 7:00 PM
MSMH River Run - Saturday, June 19th, 9:00 AM
Jog For The Jake - Sunday, June 20th, 9:300 AM

Interesting Ultras:
Summer Beast Of Burden - Saturday, August 21st
Oil Creek 100 Trail Runs - Saturday, October 16th

Links I Liked:
List of the best 100 novels ever written
100 best movies of all time
Monty Pythons Completely Useless Website 





Thanks for visiting.

- The Mule

2 comments:

  1. Oops! I thought that pic was a spawner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just know you meant that as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.